Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Joseph Campbell explains most, if not all of it for you

Finding several illustrated quotes from Joseph Campbell has made my blogging task simple today.  The first one, above, is a lesson I've learned to embrace.  The heart's wisdom, as I experience it, arrives as a knowing.  Doubt it at your peril.  It will return to speak again.  It doesn't offer guarantees for none are needed.  It often makes no sense and may leave you feeling as though you're being conned, set up to appear foolish.  Ignore that and do it anyway.  We will survive letting our hearts make us feel temporarily foolish, for this is the realm of the act and not the outcome, though that generally turns out pretty well, too.
Sleep and dreams are sacred space for me.  Seemingly unreachable worlds shift and align when my mind is truly quiet.  I experience visitations and find treasure.  On a level beyond the physical, I experience weightlessness as I do in water.  I am restored by floating and wish more of my time could be spent in that drift.  In such a place we become magnets for notions too ephemeral for the dry-land, waking world.
Surrounded by grief, loss, injustice and the world's baffling turns, I feel inadequate of time, energy, funds and ideas to set things aright.  Following the bold suggestion above, I believe I may contribute to the good of our lives by taking heart-dictated steps to share beauty, humor, love and the quirks I embody, my ways of being alive.
Unique in all of time and space, yes, you.  What an impossible gift, the generosity of which I cannot quite comprehend but know it to be true.  That I haven't always known it only makes the awareness so much more dazzling.  It transcends imperfection and asks only that we be fully, truly who we are without apology or shame.  We are the dance of fairies in the moonlight.

6 comments:

Kass said...

On the blackboard, behind my treasured 1929 gas stove is printed these words in chalk, "Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard." I don't know who said it, but I love it as much as I love your Joseph Campbell quotes.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kass - Exactly the same spirit. I like yours and the fact that it resides behind your 1929 gas stove. We can be so easily pulled away from knowledge of our own rare gifts, it seemed like a good day to speak of them. xo

T. said...

Joseph Campbell was a brilliant gem of a man. I only came upon him when my son insisted I check him out. What followed was, for me, a new way of looking-at and interacting with the culture in which we reside. Nice to be reminded of all that here.
xT.

Marylinn Kelly said...

T. - Thank you. He was gem, a wonder of a man. Though I'd known of him earlier, my son emphasized his explorations of myth, how George Lucas was inspired for Star Wars. The model of the hero's journey gives a context for adversity that has sustained me more times than I can count. If I had tattoos...xo

Health is Wealth said...

Nice quotes with cute picture. I have collected some picture from you. Thanks:)

Marylinn Kelly said...

Hasibur - Thank you. I appreciate your visit and comment. xo