Monday, October 27, 2014

A birthday

Strother Martin, Robert Ryan and others from the cast of THE WILD BUNCH.
Celebrating my son's birthday today, thinking of events and outings his father used to arrange, not necessarily for birthdays, but because they were there.  When he was 10 and had a broken leg, his father wrapped him in various layers of plastic and took him in the pouring rain (we used to have it) to meet the Ninja Turtles at Universal Studios while I was home with pneumonia.

They attended  a daytime revival showing with re-mastered print of Sam Peckinpah's THE WILD BUNCH, visited the art deco confines of the Wiltern Theater to see, to hear Nina Simone, basked on Molokai and shopped for books at the Tate Modern.  If his father were here, I know he would, as I do, remember that first October 27 as the most pivotal moment in our lives.  He is not here but standing in for him is a most agreeable, intelligent and generous step-mother with whom he has coffee every Sunday morning.  We can never have too many people who love us.

Here is an earlier birthday post, revisited.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Happy Birthday, John Cleese, and others

Cleese image thanks to fersht.typepad.com

The day a first child, any child, only child, is born remains a day of increase, of expansion and joy. Today is my son's birthday, a date he shares with, among others, Monty Python's John Cleese and, as he is called, Wales' greatest poet, Dylan Thomas.

Today I celebrate his humor, a sharp skill at mimicry, a mostly philosophical nature that helps carry us both through trying times. I celebrate his resilience, his capacity for appreciating the good that comes his way. He seems to lack any malice or the harboring of resentment, and is his parents' child in that he would probably rather be reading or seeing a movie than anything, except maybe having court-side seats for the Lakers.

Without him I would be less than I am in every sense. I wish him peace of mind, vibrant health, abundance in all he desires and the continuing determination to see his creative dreams come true. We chose his name for we knew he would bring light. May it keep growing brighter.

10 comments:

susan t. landry said...

oh. so lovely...both the today post, and the earlier one. we can never have too many to love us: please give your son my love on his special day, and please take an equal portion--or maybe a tad more--for yourself.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Susan - Thank you. I have passed along your love message and saved the bigger piece for myself. xo

sf said...

Heart swells...

Marylinn Kelly said...

Sarah - Thank you. xo

Elizabeth said...

Happy birthday to your dear son, and happy birthday day to you!

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elizabeth - Thank you. I always feel it as a day of great blessing. Such a gift. xo

Melissa Green said...

Ah, a precious post, it ought to be posted every year, in honor of your son, in honor of your being his first-rate mother, in honor of all sons and mothers. A lucky boy, a lucky woman. The universe saw fit to put you together for this go-round, and a fine thing it has been. Happy birthday, one and all, this year and for the ones to come! xoxo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Melissa - Thank you. Always a banner day. I can't remember 5 minutes ago but 37 years, no problem. The most thrilling thing, to see WHO this new person is going to be. Aunt Melissa. xoxo

AZALEA ART PRESS said...

Such a beautiful way of commemorating this very special man . . . love him and you so much! You were there the very day my Marina was born . . . so that exists in time for me as a something to celebrate each year, as well as her birth. xoxoxo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Karen - I remember it so well, the day Marina was born. Am I delusional when I recall a room that looked out on a lawn or something green? Probably delusional. Thank you. You know this Pickle and my heart. I do feel it to be a day that a sacred gift was bestowed. xoxo